October 23, 2016 – Jets – Recap
Well sports fans we are seven games into the season and we now know what we have with the Ravens. They are a less than average team that week over week makes the same mistakes and shows no sign of improvement. The talent on this team is not very good and we don’t have very many playmakers on this team. No amount of coaching could have fixed what we saw on the field today. When you lose to a team as bad as the Jets you know that you are in deep trouble. Harbaugh is going to have a tough time convincing these guys to play hard as their hopes of a good season dwindle, especially the veterans. Other thoughts on the game below
- Flacco looked awful today and he looks jittery, often giving up on plays too early. He does not step into throws which results in too many high passes – two of which got picked. I can’t believe I am actually saying this but maybe they need to sit him for a game and let him get his head straight.
- Special teams played much better and got a score and blocked field goal. Their punt coverage was suspect a few times and they missed a few tackles, but Sam was a beast today averaging over 50 per punt. Tucker was, well he was Tucker again today going 3 for 3.
- The O line and running game accounted for 12 attempts for 6 yards – I am not making that up – you can look up that stat for yourself. Zuttah got pushed around like a child and twice got pushed into Flacco on running plays. Alex Lewis got called for holding on play that would have produced a 40 yard run.
- Ravens offense did not produce a TD and netted just 245 yards against one of the worst defenses in the league. We converted on just 3 of 14 3rd downs plays and looked inept most of the day. With Trestman gone – who you going to blame now? At some point, as an organization, you have to look in the mirror and recognize that you have limited talent on your team.
- The defense really struggled today as well and neither Judon or Smith was able to set the edge. The Jets gained a lot of yardage bouncing runs outside and there was no one to cut the edge off.
- The Ravens gave up another big play, a simple slant pattern that turned into a 69 yard gain. Watching the play we saw the same mistakes as last week, Webb taking bad angles and no one fast enough to get to the receiver. The team is lacking speed on defense and really gets exposed when receivers are loose in the middle of the field.
- It was nice seeing Judon get a few sacks today, he needs to get stronger so he can get off blocks and hold the edge – but I like his relentless pursuit of the play.
- Jernigan’s fumble recovery and then fumble seconds later is the second time this year the defense blown a golden opportunity. Instead of being 4th down the Jet’s got the ball back with 1st and goal, and of course they scored a TD.
- The Ravens did not tackle well today and gave a lot of yards after 1st Tavon Young gave up a critical first down when he whiffed on Marshall.
- Play of the day from the O line is when Ryan Jensen smashed into the Jets escort on their interception and got knocked out of bounds at the 5 yard line. If he doesn’t make that play the Jets get a pick six, and as it worked out they had to settle for 3.
- La’Darius Smith committing that PF penalty was a another example of how the Ravens find ways to beat themselves.
- Waller looked good on special teams today and seemed to be around the ball or the punt returner several times.
- How is that we needed to use a time out for a special team punting play? Are we that incompetent?
- Line backers again are not doing a good job covering backs when they come out of the backfield
- Remember when we were waiting for Kenneth Dixon to come back to take over the starting RB role – he is all but irrelevant now.
|Game Predictions||Game Statistics|
|Turnovers||Plus 1||Minus 1|
|Net Rushing Yardage||Ravens||92||Jets||71||Ravens||6||Jets||156|
|Net Passing Yardage||Ravens||289||Jets||232||Ravens||238||Jets||189|
- Flacco is sacked 5 times and does not finish the game Nope – Sacked once, but probably should have been taken out
- Wallace leads all receivers with 6 receptions and 88 yds Correct! 10 receptions for 120 yards
- Jernigan gets a sack and a forced fumble Correct! Got a sack and a fumble recovery, and fumbled himself
- Refs make terrible calls Correct – Missed a PF on Jets hitting Flacco out of bounds
Missed a few PI’s on Jets corners
Missed several others as well
Possible Monday morning headlines in the Sun Papers
- Ravens back on track
- Ravens squeak out a win
Keys to the Game
- TDs not FGs when in the red zone Nope, they couldn’t find the red zone
- Minimize mistakes – penalties and turnovers Nope, stupid penalties cost them dearly as did the TOs
- Contain Marshall and Forte Nope, Forte carried for 100 yards and 54 in the air, Marshall was kept in check
- Put pressure on Fitz – blitz if you have to Kind of – they got 5 sacks but most were coverage sacks – they had time to throw