September 27, 2015 – Bengals – Recap
Well this one was a nail biter going down to the final minutes of the game but the outcome unfortunately was the same – not enough. The Ravens, while clearly not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, are for all intents and purposes out of the running. The loss was a team effort and I will call out some of the obvious weaknesses in my comments below. Suffice it to say that everyone in the Castle can hit the panic button now – this season is officially the worst start in team history. This team is lacking in talent and it is now clear to just about everyone that this team does not have the skill positions players to compete against the better teams. They are going to struggle to get to 8 and 8. Here is some of the good, the bad and the ugly.
- Steve Smith is a man! He is the best thing going for this lackluster team and he plays with heart. 13 catches for 186 yards and 2 TDs – WOW!!
- 13 Raven penalties for 117 yards in a home game is absolutely inexcusable – you just can’t let that happen
- Zuttah was a train wreck today and alone accounted for at least 3 penalties
- Melvin too was a penalty machine early in the game which probably explains why he was MIA for the rest of the game
- The secondary is healthy with Webb and Smith on the corners but they are not playing well – to be blunt the secondary sucks
- The safety group was horrible today as well and they never seemed to be in position or provide deep coverage – just awful play from the group
- The Ravens defense is developing a mojo of having no heart or big play capability in the 4th quarter – they can’t hold lead ever
- Brandon Williams played well today and looked really stout in the middle
- Flacco had a big day today but I must admit it is frustrating that he for some reason cannot hit the short passes with any accuracy – he leaves a lot of yardage out there on the field each week with this missed throws
- The offensive line could not get any push for the run game and were absolutely mauled by the Bengals front 4
- Campanaro looks good on the punt returns and seems to have good field vision
- Brown and Aiken are proving to be light weights in the world of NFL receivers and sadly Flacco doesn’t have much to work with right now other than Smith
- It may be me, but it seems like the Ravens always throw a screen to Kyle Juicebox to start off the game
- CJ whiffing on Andy Dalton on his slow motion juke is going to get a few views this week in the film room
- Dumervil forced a turnover on his sack of Dalton, but other than that he was completely unremarkable today
- Jimmy’s pick in the end zone was critical to keeping the Ravens in that game otherwise it might have been a rout
- The officiating of pass interference is so confusing I can no longer figure it out – illegal contact, holding and PI seem to be used randomly and interchangeably
- Monroe gets knocked out in the first series in Denver with a concussion and has missed everything since – what the hell happened? Did he hit steel beam?
- Does anyone who watches the Ravens actually think we can get 4 yards running on 3rd and 4? I think they tried it twice and failed miserably
- Mosley’s fumble recovery and return were a thing of beauty
- Suggs is sorely missed and the pass rush is nonexistent unless they send at least 6
- Do you think Antonio Brown is licking his chops thinking about Thursday’s game
- I vote that Jason Babin get a chance to put on a jersey this week – he can’t be any worse than the current talent
|Game Predictions||Game Statistics|
|Turnovers||Plus 1||Plus 1|
|Net Rushing Yardage||Ravens||92||Bengals||116||Ravens||36||Bengals||86|
|Net Passing Yardage||Ravens||238||Bengals||264||Ravens||369||Bengals||362|
- Flacco goes 24 of 34 with no interceptions 32 of 49 with one interception
- AJ Green gets 8 receptions for 84 yards and 1 TD 10 receptions for 227 yards and 2 TD’s – suffice it to say he owns the Ravens
- Campanaro gets his first TD Nope! Reception for 8 yards – yippee!
- Refs make terrible calls 22 penalties for the day some of which were really ticky tacky
Possible Monday morning headlines in the Sun Papers
- Ravens Win, Finally!!!
- Flacco out duels Dalton
Keys to the Game Clearly my keys to the game were bogus
- Contain the Bengals running game Yes, kept the Bengals to 2.8 yards per carry
- Protect Flacco and give him time and space to throw Yes, not excellent protection but overall pretty solid
- Convert on 3rd down and move the chains – work the clock Yes, TOP was about even and converted 7 of 16