Ravens/Chiefs Post Game Recap
This game felt like it was over at the end of the first half as the Chiefs were ahead 23 to 6. The Ravens would somewhat make a game of it but in the end the KC offense was too much for the Ravens. The Kansas City Chiefs are a chain moving machine of an offense and had accumulated 307 yard through the first two quarters and 503 yards by games end. They were able to cut through the Raven’s defense like a hot knife through butter today and they showed you why they are one of the best in the NFL. Mahomes is a play maker and his 73-yard strike to Hardman in the second quarter was a beautiful throw and catch. The Chiefs have speed like no other team I have seen in a while and they have a quarterback that can get the ball to them.
Ravens struggled at times on both sides of the ball today and if you want to know how they stack up against the best teams in the NFL – you now know that they have some more growing to do as a team. Lamar was not sharp today and left some throws on the field that I am sure he would like to take back. You also have to take your hat off to Andy Reid who showed you why he is one of the most respected coaches in the game as he absolutely out coached the Ravens today. He burned the Ravens defense on screens several times today when he knew the pressure was coming. Other thoughts on the game are below:
• Mahomes is so elusive and his downfield vision is amazing even when under pressure – the guy can extend the play with the best I have ever seen. The Ravens got pressure at times but it didn’t matter he was one step ahead of them all day long
• Mark Ingram had a huge game today with 16 carries for 103 yards and 3 TDs and he is proving to be one of DaCosta’s best moves of the off season
• The refs did an outstanding job calling penalties on the Ravens today in key situations. I hope that they were compensated well for their efforts by the home team
• Judon played with a lot of heart and intensity today and never gave up the fight but he needs to play with more discipline as he committed some silly penalties and over pursued some plays vacating his spot on the defensive line
• Penalties really hurt the Ravens today and this is something that coaches have to cleanup in a hurry. I would have to go back to the tape but I believe that every single penalty today impacted drives or negated good plays
• Kelce is a tough match for linebackers and the Ravens secondary struggled to stay with him today – giving up 7 catches for 89 yards – and a first down converter on several of them
• In the first KC offensive series Averett had a great opportunity to recover a fumble but he unfortunately whiffed on the ball and KC was able to keep possession – missed opportunities like that can often be the difference in games
• Judon and Peanut showed up big with a sack and pressure in the first offensive series which was the only possession in the 1st half where the Chiefs did not score
• The Ravens first trip to the red zone produces six points and the drive to get there was over six and half minutes – just what you hoped they would do
• I don’t understand Harbaugh’s decision to go for a 2-point conversion early in the game, it made no sense in that situation. Trying to remember the last time I saw a team go for two on their first possession.
• Going for it on 4 and 3 on their first drive was risky but when you have the fastest quarterback on the planet you can do those things
• McPhee’s PF penalty was such a stupid penalty as it cost us 15 yards and it was nothing more than playing patty cakes with Mahomes feet
• Justice Hill looks to me like a project for the Ravens, he hasn’t shown me much in the first three games and seems very tentative in both the run and return game
• Judon’s PF (horse collar) penalty on 3rd and goal was a bone crushing as it gave KC new life within the 5-yard line instead of having settle for three points they get a touch down
• The 4th and 2 call at midfield was not Roman’s best call of the day as he had Lamar on the roll out and too much traffic in the secondary to complete a pass
• McColl Hardman on KC has blazing speed and when he changed field to run for the first down there was not a single player on the field that had a chance of catching him when he turned on the burners
• First completion to a Ravens wide receiver did not happen until 1:48 left in the first half – which shows how good the KC defense did against our receivers for most of the game
• Lamar needs to do a better job of looking off his passes because he had several tipped balls today from the Chiefs front four which took advantage of that weakness. He also overthrew a number of his passes today.
• The holding call on Snead was a terrible call and negated a 40-yard run by Edwards – just pathetic how often the refs turn the momentum of a game with terrible officiating
• Ravens defensive line and OLB did not do a good job holding the edge as they gave up a lot of yards on the sweep runs. Ravens gave up 140 yards on the ground today 374 in the air
• Earl Thomas showed some bravado last week with his comment that “I will stop all big plays” must not have applied to the KC game because by my count there were like a gazillion
• The Ravens first possession of the second half was run run run and all they did was move the ball effortlessly through the KC defense – makes you wonder why they were so pass happy in the first half
• Harbaugh is going to get shredded in the sports shows this week for his going for it on 2-point conversions along with going for it on 4th down at midfield. Had he not gone for 2-point conversions he would have been just 3 points short with a just over two minutes left in the game
• The offensive line did a pretty good job today both in the run game and in pass protection. Most of the sacks on Lamar were coverage sacks
• I could have missed it, but I don’t think I saw anyone in the Ravens secondary defend a pass today
• All in all, you have to like how the Ravens fought back in the second half after being down by 17 in the first half
Score Ravens 27 Chiefs 31 Ravens 28 Chiefs 33
Turnovers Minus 1 Even
Net Rushing Yardage Ravens 144 Chiefs 69 Ravens 203 Chiefs 140
Net Passing Yardage Ravens 277 Chiefs 321 Ravens 249 Chiefs 363
• Mahomes achieves a QB passer rating of 93 or above Correct, 132
• Ingram carries 18 times for 79 yards and 1 TD Better Yet – 16 for 103 yards and 3 TDs
• Ravens commit 9 penalties for 84 yards Almost, 7 penalties for 60 yards
• Refs make terrible calls At least 4 or 5 by my count
Keys to the Game
• Contain Mahomes and don’t let him extend plays Nope!
• Force Turnovers Nope!
• Score TDs in the red zone Correct, all but on trip produced TDs