The Ravens win the home opener and get the job done in a game that only produced a total of 20 points. The Bills came ready to play today and they brought their nasty style of defense to M&T but the Ravens were up to the challenge. The Ravens defense held last year’s number 4 offense to just 160 total yards of offense albeit this team is managed by Rex. It is true that the Ravens have some things to work on to improve but you have to be pleased with the team effort especially when there were so many that had to knock off the rust from being out so long. It was great seeing Flacco, Forsett, Smith, Pitta and Suggs all playing again and looking healthy. Ravens passed their first test, now we will see how they do when they go on the road. Other thoughts on the game are below.
- If I was giving game balls I would have given it to Shareece Wright. He was all over the field and made some spectacular tackles (11) of which 3 were for losses. He also made two of the tackles on the Bill’s first possession which set the tone for the day. For a guy who was played underwhelming in the preseason – he looked all world against the Bills.
- The Ravens O line did a subpar job protecting Joe (sacked 4 times) and the Bills were often able to get pressure with just 4 . Add to that the O line committed 3 of the 6 penalties. Zutah especially looked bad today (bad snap) and was having a lot of trouble handling pressure up the middle. Yanda committed two of the penalties which was a surprise.
- Ravens defense recorded 2 sacks but watching the game it felt to me that Tyrod had plenty of time to throw on most plays. We really need Dumervil to return soon and I would expect Judon to get more snaps in the coming week. I like Jernigan and Williams in the middle but in my opinion they don’t really generate that much pass pressure.
- The play calling today left me wanting more, and I will never understand why the Ravens on 3rd and short do not throw passes past the chains. It makes no sense to me and they did twice in this game and once on 4th If I am missing something here please enlighten me.
- Now that we have 3 burners on this team, I would like to see more wide out sets that push corner coverage and safeties out to the sidelines to open up the middle of the field. Too often our receiver packages are bunched to the strong side.
- The defense played fast today and there was quick pursuit to the ball. I was really happy to see them contain the running game which they had not done all that well during the preseason.
- Perriman’s catch down field was impressive and if he can make those kinds of acrobatic catches throughout the season he will be a nice addition.
- The Ravens did a nice job of getting into 3rd and short situations but unfortunately still only converted 6 out of 16. This needs to get better as the offense gets more in sync.
- Flacco’s pass to Wallace was a thing of beauty and the fact that Mike was able to take to the house was a clear message to the league that Mike is back.
- Ravens didn’t generate a turnover yesterday which fortunately didn’t affect the outcome, but they will need them to beat the better teams in the league.
- Tucker and Koch did a good job with their kicking duties, but the rest of the special teams were mediocre at best. Hester looked like he still has some cob webs on his returns but at least he did not cough up the ball. Tavon Young had one punt where he could have laid the lumber on the returner but whiffed because he was staring at the sky looking for the ball.
- Trestman’s play calling and game plan was too heavy on the pass game in the second half and I thought they could have run the ball more.
- How cool was it when Pitta made his first catch of the game to hear the fans go crazy cheering.
- As far as I could tell there were not any injuries for the Ravens yesterday which was nice to see.
|Game Predictions||Game Statistics|
|Turnovers||Plus 1||Minus 1|
|Net Rushing Yardage||Ravens||99||Bills||108||Ravens||83||Bills||65|
|Net Passing Yardage||Ravens||269||Bills||201||Ravens||225||Bills||95|
- Judon gets his first sack of his NFL career No sack, but he did come close and also registered a QB hit
- Bills receive 8 penalties for 70 yards Close, it was 8 penalties for 89 yards
- Aiken leads all receivers with 7 receptions No, only 2 catches as Flacco used 10 different receivers
- Refs make terrible calls They missed a key hold on 4th down and gave some poor ball spots
Possible Monday morning headlines in the Sun Papers
- Joe Cool looks solid in home opener
- Ravens win, but injury bug plagues them again
Keys to the Game
- The offensive line needs to set the tone and establish running lanes They did an ok job for their first outing and especially given that 2 new players on the lefty side
- Get pressure on Tyrod and keep him contained They kept Tyrod from getting big runs and made move out of the pocket
- Play penalty free 6 penalties for 35 yards which is ok, but I like that they had no PF calls against them
- Win the turnover battle Nope, we didn’t generate any and ended the day minus one